1/18

Academy Place 

Address: 711 Grinage Street, Houma, LA 70360

Units: 103 Senior Housing

Year Completed: 2017 

In June 2017, RNDC completed the redevelopment of Academy Place, a one-acre site in an urban walkable mixed use neighborhood adjacent to downtown Houma.  Forty-seven apartments are located in the now fully restored historic 1931 former Houma Elementary school building with an additional 56 apartments in a new three-story complementary building on the same landscaped site.  This development brings a total of 103 much needed mixed income senior apartments to the market.  


The historic masonry school building, flanked by large mature live oak trees and with generous formal green space, has great sentimental value in the community with many seniors recalling attending or having taught school there (a few are now current residents).  The once grand building had fallen into disrepair and become a public nuisance.  This redevelopment placed a landmark building, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, back into commerce. The buildings are also Enterprise Green Communities certified in keeping with RNDC’s goal of promoting healthy living environments while reducing carbon footprint through making efficient system and material choices. Developments such as this provide growing communities with much needed affordable senior housing with great walkable access to basic commercial services that is well-served by public transportation.


The $20 million in total development cost was funded by a combination of Low-Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC), Federal and State Historic Tax Credits, Terrebonne Council on Aging funding and private bank loans.  This mixed income community includes a 60% LIHTC set aside of units for low income households with the remaining 40% of units unrestricted at market rate.  Six units, or 5%, are additionally set aside as Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH) units for very low income households

 

Academy Place News and Events

2018

Academy Place is on the Cover!

March 2018

Academy Place is the feature story on the National Park Service's Federal Tax Incentives for Rehabilitating Historic Buildings Annual Report.

Academy Place Honored with NAHB's Best of 55+ Housing Award

January 2018

Academy Place wins the National Association of Home Builders' prestigious Best of 55+ Award in the 55+Repositioned or Repurposed Project category.

Please reload

2017

Academy Place Celebrated

November 15, 2017

Academy Place celebrates its Grand Opening.

November 15, 2017

Volunteers of America Greater New Orleans celebrates the grand opening of its newest senior living community in this Biz New Orleans Daily Biz Minute.

Seniors find nostalgic home at elementary school

October 8, 2017

Academy Place is featured on HoumaToday.com

July 16, 2017

Houma School is now Academy Place Apartments.

Holly & Smith Architects Project Page

2017

Holly & Smith Architects' page

Please reload

2016

© Copyright 2013,  Renaissance Neighborhood Development Corporation, All Rights Reserved •  Phone: 504-681-6123•  4162 Canal St, New Orleans, Louisiana  70119